Brokers for a Broken World
Every dollar you give abolishes approximately $100 dollars of medical debt
Brokers for a Broken World, a network of real estate and mortgage professionals, invite you to join us as we kick off a campaign to engender hope, generosity and housing stability.
- Medical debt is the #1 cause of bankruptcy in the US.
- 16% to 28% of American adults carry the burden of medical debt.
- Medical debt and housing instability often go hand in hand.
- Unpaid medical bills is the primary source of debt attributed to homelessness and extended their period of homelessness by an average of two years.
- Individuals with medical debt on their credit reports were twice as likely to have housing problems than those whose credit reports did not include medical debts.
- 9% of homeowners facing foreclosure in Philadelphia cited illness or medical costs as the primary reason for being behind on mortgage payments.
- ½ of survey respondents listed a health-related cause as contributing to the foreclosure of their home.
The reality is that too many of our neighbors are laboring under crushing debt, struggling to provide for their households and keep a roof over their heads.
What if we can change that? What if we can do something good for the sake of doing something good?
Together we can raise the heads, hearts and credit scores of our neighbors, thereby increasing the probability of a quality life which includes housing security at its core. Together we can show compassion and generosity. Together we can achieve that which we cannot do alone.
Brokers for a Broken World, invite you to join us in our effort to raise $10,000 dollars this summer to abolish approximately $1.0 million dollars of medical debt in communities hardest hit by homelessness. Our campaign will run April 30th through July 30th, 2021 and deliver good news to their mailboxes instead of another bill or collection notice!
Campaign Support Recipients
- Robert G. just donated $25.85
- Jean R. just donated $513.03
Fundraise for This Campaign
Start a fundraiser to help those in need. Set a personal fundraising goal and track online donations easily with RIP.
How RIP Works
Over a hundred million Americans, one in three, struggles with the weight of medical debt.
Here’s how we lift them up.
You make a donation
With every donation, RIP uses its precise data analytics to pinpoint the medical debt of those most in need of relief: households whose income is below twice the federal poverty line or are insolvent.
RIP buys medical debt at a steep discount
Your donations allow us to buy debt in bundles. That allows us to buy debt at a fraction of the original cost. So whatever you donate has 100x the impact.
Together we wipe out medical debt
People receive a letter that their debt is gone, and they are told that their debt has been bought by a third party and erased with no strings attached. They owe nothing on the debt and face no tax penalty. This letter will include an acknowledgement that their debt has been paid off by the Brokers for a Broken World and website link. No taxes. No penalties. Just like that, they're free of medical debt.
Yes. We are a 501(c)(3) charity and your donation is 100% tax deductible.
When we purchase a portfolio of medical debt, we abolish debt for individuals who:
- Earn less than 2x the federal poverty level (varies by state, family size).
- Debts are 5 percent or more of annual income.
- Facing insolvency — debts are greater than assets.
We only buy debt that has been pre-qualified by our partners to meet at least one of these three criteria.
We never collect on debt we purchase, only forgive it.
No. With your help, we abolish medical debt permanently. Recipients have no adverse tax consequences, obligations, or strings attached.
For those whose medical debts are forgiven, the forgiveness is a gift from a detached and disinterested third party (RIP) as an act of generosity, so forgiveness of the debt does not count as income to the debtor. We will not file a Form 1099-C with the IRS.
Due to HIPAA laws, RIP Medical Debt cannot disclose the names of the debt relief beneficiaries.
RIP Medical Debt cannot relieve debt by individual request.
While we would love to help everyone who needs assistance, RIP Medical Debt cannot abolish medical debt for specific individuals. We approach the problem of medical debt by acquiring large portfolios of debt to help thousands of people at once.
Because medical debt affects so many people who may not have debt accounts in the portfolios we purchase, we have compiled a list of resources that may be able to help in ways RIP Medical Debt cannot.