Madeline and Joe’s Wedding Registry
Every $1 Eliminates about $100 of Medical Debt
In lieu of a traditional registry, we have decided to work with RIP Medical Debt to tackle the difficult challenge of medical debt in the US.
- Medical debt is the #1 cause of bankruptcy in the US.
- 16% to 28% of American adults carry the burden of medical debt.
- People who have medical debt or trouble paying their medical bills are more likely to have health issues
- Medical debt and housing instability often go hand in hand
- Unpaid medical bills are the primary source of debt attributed to homelessness and extend the period of homelessness by an average of two years
- Individuals with medical debt on their credit reports were twice as likely to have housing problems than those whose credit reports did not include medical debts
- The recent pandemic has cause a major spike in medical debt across the country bring the total to $140 Billion
We invite everyone to celebrate our union by helping us eradicate as much medical debt and help as many individuals as possible. Alleviating this debt can aid in lifting many struggling people out of economic uncertainty and relieve a source of constant stress.
We invite you to join us in our effort to raise $7,500 to abolish approximately $750,000 of medical debt in communities hit hardest. We believe so strongly in this cause we will be putting in the first $1,500. Our campaign will run July 30 through October 31, 2021.
We look forward to taking a step in eliminating this crushing scourge with your help!
Campaign Support Recipients
- Robert K. just donated $30
- Alfred L. just donated $256.62
- Katherine H. just donated $102.77
- Gregory M. just donated $70.97
- Charlotte R. just donated $51.49
- Katie C. just donated $50
- Mai H. just donated $250
- Anna H. just donated $102.77
How RIP Works
Over a hundred million Americans, one in three, struggles with the weight of medical debt.
Here’s how we lift them up.
You make a donation
With every donation, RIP uses its precise data analytics to pinpoint the medical debt of those most in need of relief: households whose income is below twice the federal poverty line or are insolvent.
RIP buys medical debt at a steep discount
Your donations allow us to buy debt in bundles. That allows us to buy debt at a fraction of the original cost. So whatever you donate has 100x the impact.
Together we wipe out medical debt
People receive a letter that their debt is gone. No taxes. No penalties. Just like that, they're free of medical debt.
Yes. We are a 501(c)(3) charity and your donation is 100% tax deductible.
When we purchase a portfolio of medical debt, we abolish debt for individuals who:
- Earn less than 2x the federal poverty level (varies by state, family size).
- Debts are 5 percent or more of annual income.
- Facing insolvency — debts are greater than assets.
We only buy debt that has been pre-qualified by our partners to meet at least one of these three criteria.
We never collect on debt we purchase, only relieve it.
No. With your help, we abolish medical debt permanently. Recipients have no adverse tax consequences, obligations, or strings attached.
For those whose medical debts are relieved, the relief is a gift from a detached and disinterested third party (RIP) as an act of generosity, so relief of the debt does not count as income to the debtor. We will not file a Form 1099-C with the IRS.
Due to HIPAA laws, RIP Medical Debt cannot disclose the names of the debt relief beneficiaries.
RIP Medical Debt cannot relieve debt by individual request.
While we would love to help everyone who needs assistance, RIP Medical Debt cannot abolish medical debt for specific individuals. We approach the problem of medical debt by acquiring large portfolios of debt to help thousands of people at once.
Because medical debt affects so many people who may not have debt accounts in the portfolios we purchase, we have compiled a list of resources that may be able to help in ways RIP Medical Debt cannot.