Help Hope Live
Help Hope Live was founded in 1983 by a transplant surgeon and his wife, a nurse, when they saw their patients struggling to afford the cost of a heart transplant on their own—especially since insurance considered the life-saving procedure “experimental” and would not assist with the cost.
Help Hope Live is a national nonprofit dedicated to raising money for medical bills and expenses through community-based fundraising. Unlike crowdfunding platforms, Help Hope Live manages all donations in honor of patients to ensure funds raised do not count towards patients’ income and personal assets. This unique approach prevents the loss of income-capped, state-based benefits like Medicaid and disability.
Particularly during this pandemic, more citizens than ever have experienced firsthand some of the isolation, fear, and financial uncertainty that accompanies insurmountable medical bills. Patients are starting to receive medical bills following treatment and hospitalization for COVID-19 and Help Hope Live is here as a trusted fundraising option for COVID-19 survivors struggling with medical bills.
Help Hope Live organizes fundraising campaigns for people impacted by: cell or organ transplant needs, spinal cord injury or traumatic brain injury, amputation, stroke, cancer, COVID-19, multiple sclerosis, spina bifida, cerebral palsy, muscular dystrophy, transverse myelitis, ALS, and more. Patients can submit a campaign request here to determine whether they are a good fit for Help Hope Live’s program.
Almost four decades ago, Help Hope Live started a movement to connect networks of friends and neighbors helping one another to bring treatment options and hope back within reach during a medical crisis. Their mission has proven time and time again that community support isn’t just about raising funds—it’s about showing families that they are not alone.
- 50% Of Americans Now Carry Medical Debt, A New Chronic Condition For Millions
- Stacey Abrams group donates $1.34M to wipe out medical debts
- How to Give the Gift of Charity This Holiday Season
- Navigating Medical Debt: Regions Bank Announces Grant and Financial Wellness Tools to Help People and Families
- Americans Crushed by Medical Debt Might Finally a Catch Break
- RIP Medical Debt Leverages Donor Support to Pay Off Billions of Dollars in Health Care Debt
- RIP Medical Debt Acquires and Retires Crippling Medical Debt for Consumers
- The U.S. Medical Debt Crisis is Incalculable
- Help Hope Live
- 5 organizations erasing millions in medical debt