$100M in Medical Debt Eliminated thanks to Philanthropic Gift
RIP Medical Debt Collaborates with Ryan “Jume” Jumonville to Spread Love
DESTIN, Fla., April 20, 2023 /PRNewswire/ — RIP Medical Debt and Ryan “Jume” Jumonville, announced a new agreement today that will eliminate $100,000,000 of patient medical debt for Floridians. Beginning in May, the lucky Sunshine State residents benefiting from this gift will be receiving letters notifying them that some or all of their medical bills are now “paid in full”.
This medical debt was abolished as a charitable act; eliminating any potential tax consequences for recipients. Medical expenses are the leading cause of bankruptcy in the U.S. “It’s so difficult for families to overcome health problems, only to face financial hardships from the related medical bills,” says Jumonville. This gift was inspired by a very personal experience. “I recently lost my niece Claire. She battled Cystic Fibrosis her entire life and spent much of that time in hospitals. I’m making this gift in her honor as no one could spread love quite like her,” Jumonville shared.
RIP Medical Debt is a not-for-profit, national charity that raises funds from donors and uses those funds to acquire and abolish medical debt. Since inception in 2014 nearly $8.5 billionof medical debt has been abolished, helping more than 5.5m people. Medical debt often results from unplanned, unexpected illnesses and accidents. About one-third of U.S. adults have difficulty covering unexpected health care bills.
RIP Medical Debt is committed to relieving people of the burden of medical debt to enhance their economic opportunities and to enable them to live healthier lives. RIP’s criteria for debt relief are those individuals who are four times or below the federal poverty level or those with medical debt that is 5% or more of their gross annual income. Medical debt relief cannot be requested and is source-based.
About Philanthropist Ryan “Jume” Jumonville
Jumonville has a passion for philanthropy. He is primarily focused on children’s healthcare and was the fastest to reach the Million Miracle Club for Children’s Miracle Network Hospitals. He has also provided scholarships for children of fallen U.S. military servicemen, donated more than a million meals to food banks, funded water wells in third world countries, donated to homes for single mothers, and most recently built an agriculture college in Africa to teach sustainable farming. He is also responsible for saving U.S. residents more than two billion dollars through various prescription assistance programs that he developed, funded, and/or managed.
Recent Press Releases
- Cook County Medical Debt Relief Initiative Abolishes over $280 Million in Medical Debt for Cook County Residents
- New national survey results from RIP, ASC CAN and LLS conducted by PerryUndem
- Mercy Health partners with RIP Medical Debt to relieve patient debt in northwest Ohio
- Consumer Bureau Announces Groundbreaking Plan to Protect Americans from the Devastating Effects of Medical Debt
- FinThrive and RIP Medical Debt Use the Power of Data to Launch Patients Toward Financial Freedom by Relieving $10B in Medical Debt
- MLB All-Star Todd Helton Erases $10M+ of Medical Debt for Coloradans
- RIP Medical Debt Acknowledged for Expertise, Attends White House Medical Debt Announcement
- Cook County Medical Debt Relief Initiative Abolishes Nearly $80 Million in Medical Debt for Cook County Residents
- Partnership to Abolish $32M of Patient Debt
- $100M in Medical Debt Eliminated thanks to Philanthropic Gift