AJR Partners With Rip Medical Debt to Help Alleviate Financial Hardships Caused by COVID-19
2-WEEK CAMPAIGN NOW LIVE
MORE THAN $20,000 RAISED IN FIRST 24 HOURS, FORGIVING OVER $2 MILLION IN MEDICAL DEBT
NEW SINGLE “BANG!” NO. 8 ON ALTERNATIVE RADIO AND OVER 35 MILLION TOTAL STREAMS
PERFORMED ON ELVIS DURAN’S “STAY AT HOME BALL” APRIL 24
New York, NY (April 28, 2020) – Multiplatinum indie pop trio AJR have partnered with the nonprofit RIP Medical Debtto help alleviate financial hardships caused by COVID-19. Their two week campaign kicked off yesterday and has raised more than $20,000 in 24 hours, which will forgive over $2 million in medical debt. The campaign is active now through Monday, May 11.
Click HERE to watch a special video message from AJR about the cause.
RIP Medical Debt uses donations to purchase bundled medical debt portfolios that have gone through collection agencies for months or years. Using third-party credit data providers, it targets debt incurred by people facing financial hardship, and then forgives it. Since it buys the most burdensome medical debts in large portfolios, relief is random and RIP Medical Debt cannot seek out and cancel specific, individual medical debts at this time.
On average, $1 is leveraged to abolish $100 in medical debt.
Those who make a minimum donation of $5 to AJR’s campaign will receive:
- 20 percent off any item in AJR’s merch store (valid for three months).
- A free download of an acoustic studio recording of “BANG!” (not available on DSPs).
- A chance to win two free tickets to any AJR show for life.
The campaign comes on the heels of AJR’s latest single “BANG!” (AJR Productions/S-Curve Records/BMG), which is No. 8 on Alternative Radio and has accumulated over 35 million total streams. The band performed the track on Elvis Duran’s “Stay At Home Ball” last Friday (April 24) and created a viral handwashing tutorial with its chorus (click HERE to watch).
“BANG!” follows the release of AJR’s third full-length album Neotheater, which debuted at the top of the Billboard charts last spring (No. 8 on the Billboard 200 and No. 1 on the Alternative and Rock Albums charts), and features Gold certified single “100 Bad Days.” In their decade music roundups, Spotify named AJR’s smash “Sober Up” one of the Best Rock Songs of the 2010s and Apple Music named AJR’s hit “Weak” one of the Best Alt Songs of the 2010s.
Recent Press Releases
- RIP Medical Debt partners with MetroHealth and Cleveland City Council to Eliminate Medical Debt for Local Residents
- RIP Medical Debt and CJA Announce 1-Year Project Supported by the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation
- Mayor Adams to Relieve Over $2 Billion in Medical Debt for Hundreds of Thousands of Working-Class New Yorkers
- Casey McIntyre’s Viral Memorial Campaign Abolishes $44.9 Million Dollars of Medical Debt for 51,000 People in First Round of Debt Relief
- Record $1 Billion+ of Medical Debt Abolished in Appalachia
- Cook County Medical Debt Relief Initiative Abolishes over $280 Million in Medical Debt for Cook County Residents
- New national survey results from RIP, ASC CAN and LLS conducted by PerryUndem
- Mercy Health partners with RIP Medical Debt to relieve patient debt in northwest Ohio
- Consumer Bureau Announces Groundbreaking Plan to Protect Americans from the Devastating Effects of Medical Debt
- FinThrive and RIP Medical Debt Use the Power of Data to Launch Patients Toward Financial Freedom by Relieving $10B in Medical Debt