Action to abolish Medical Debt in South East Michigan
Every $1 eliminates about $100 of Medical Debt
Did you know?
- 40% of Americans have lingering medical debt.
- Medical debt can result in wage garnishment, eviction, foreclosure and bankruptcy.
- Until paid medical debt stays on a credit report, impacting an individual’s ability to get a loan, rent a place to live, buy a home or get a job.
- Medical Debt is the #1 cause of bankruptcy in the United States.
You can help St. James’ relieve medical debt for residents in Washtenaw and Wayne Counties.
Who benefits from your donation?
- Individuals who make less than 2 times the federal poverty level.
- Individuals who pay more than 5% of their annual income for out-of-pocket medical expenses.
- Individuals whose medical debts are greater than their assets.
Please donate, each $1 eliminates about $100 of medical debt.
Every dollar helps!
St James’ Episcopal Church Dexter, MI
Campaign Support Recipients
- Anonymous just donated $102.77
How RIP Works
Over a hundred million Americans, one in three, struggles with the weight of medical debt.
Here’s how we lift them up.
You make a donation
With every donation, RIP uses its precise data analytics to pinpoint the medical debt of those most in need of relief: households whose income is below twice the federal poverty line or are insolvent.
RIP buys medical debt at a steep discount
Your donations allow us to buy debt in bundles. That allows us to buy debt at a fraction of the original cost. So whatever you donate has 100x the impact.
Together we wipe out medical debt
People receive a letter that their debt is gone. No taxes. No penalties. Just like that, they're free of medical debt.
Yes. We are a 501(c)(3) charity and your donation is 100% tax deductible.
When we purchase a portfolio of medical debt, we abolish debt for individuals who:
- Earn less than 2x the federal poverty level (varies by state, family size).
- Debts are 5 percent or more of annual income.
- Facing insolvency — debts are greater than assets.
We only buy debt that has been pre-qualified by our partners to meet at least one of these three criteria.
We never collect on debt we purchase, only relieve it.
No. With your help, we abolish medical debt permanently. Recipients have no adverse tax consequences, obligations, or strings attached.
For those whose medical debts are relieved, the relief is a gift from a detached and disinterested third party (RIP) as an act of generosity, so relief of the debt does not count as income to the debtor. We will not file a Form 1099-C with the IRS.
Due to HIPAA laws, RIP Medical Debt cannot disclose the names of the debt relief beneficiaries.
RIP Medical Debt cannot relieve debt by individual request.
While we would love to help everyone who needs assistance, RIP Medical Debt cannot abolish medical debt for specific individuals. We approach the problem of medical debt by acquiring large portfolios of debt to help thousands of people at once.
Because medical debt affects so many people who may not have debt accounts in the portfolios we purchase, we have compiled a list of resources that may be able to help in ways RIP Medical Debt cannot.